Common Questions about Compensation Claims


How do I know if I have a claim?

It can be difficult to tell sometimes if you have a valid claim for compensation. The law can be complicated in this regard. Our advice in this instance is to give us a call and to explain what has happened to you. We will listen to what you have to say, collect as many details as possible and then give you our opinion about whether or not you have a good case.


How much compensation will I get?

The amount of compensation that you are awarded depends on a number of factors including; the severity of your injuries, your lifestyle, life expectancy and the number of your dependents. We have a lot of success in winning large sums for our clients and will be able to give you a good idea about the level of compensation you could expect should you win your case.


How long will a claim take to conclude?

Spinal cord injury cases can take up to three years to conclude, especially when they are defended by the defendant’s liability insurer. We always try to obtain interim compensation payments for our clients, which can help fund rehabilitation and care services in the medium term.


No win no fee?

Yes, we offer a no win no fee structure. 


What happens if my claim is unsuccessful?

If your claim is not successful, we will explain to you why this is the case. In this unfortunate event, you will be protected through our no win no fee policy and will not owe us any money.


Will I owe any money if my claim is successful?

With Aspire Law, if we win your personal injury case case, we will not look to deduct any additional or success fees from your compensation award.*


Will I have to appear in court?

The majority of our cases are settled before they get to court. In the unlikely event that your case does go to court, we will instruct a specialist barrister to represent you so you will not have to attend in person if you do not wish to do so.


If I sue my employer, will I get sacked?

If your accident happened at work then you have every right to claim compensation for your injuries. Compensation will be provided by your employer’s insurer, and this should not affect in any way your employment situation.


I was injured abroad. Can you still help me?

Yes, of course, our solicitors are experienced in this type of case. We are members of the Travel and Tourism Lawyers Association and the Pan-European Organisation for Personal Injury Law.


I was injured 2 years ago; can I still make a claim?

Yes, you have up to 3 years to make a claim. We would advise you to contact us as soon as possible after your accident so that we can collect relevant witness statements whilst recollections of the events are still fresh in people’s minds.


I think the accident may have been my fault. Does this mean I have no case?

No, not at all. Even if you are partly to blame for the accident that caused your spinal cord injury, you may still be able to claim compensation. This is known as contributory negligence. You still get compensation but the amount is reduced to allow for the fact it was partly your fault.


I was driving too fast when my accident happened. Do I have a valid claim?

If the accident was also caused by a third party or a defect in the road, this would fall under contributory negligence which is mentioned above. You would be entitled to a lower amount of compensation because the accident was partly your fault.


Do you handle claims involving Cauda Equina Syndrome?

Yes, we have solicitors who are experts in handling Cauda Equina Syndrome claims, both as personal injury claims as well as clinical negligence cases.


Do you take on clinical negligence cases?

Yes, we have a team of solicitors who are specialists in clinical negligence claims.


In the past, I was represented by a solicitor in the past who was unsuccessful with my claim. Can you help?

We would certainly want to find out more from you about why your case was not successful. If we think that your solicitor did not represent you properly, then we can look at the possibility of making a claim against them for professional negligence.


I am struggling to pay the mortgage. Can you help me?

Yes, that’s what we are here for. We can contact your mortgage company on your behalf to explain your circumstances and ask them to be patient whilst we work on your claim. A well-worded letter from a reputable solicitor can be very effective.

We will also put you in touch with our colleagues at Aspire who have a dedicated resource to help you sort out the relevant welfare benefit payments. This can be a confusing and daunting prospect, so it is good to have a helping hand to guide you.

We will also make it our priority to contact the other party’s insurers to negotiate a release of interim payments which can be used to cover any financial shortfall and to pay for additional care, equipment and rehabilitation needs.


My child is under the age of 18 and has sustained a spinal injury. Can you help me?

Yes, we can with parental consent represent children and young people under the age of 18. We also have solicitors who are expert in making sure that in these circumstances the current and future educational needs of the child are fully met.


My injury happened whilst I was serving in the armed forces. Are you able to help me?

Yes, we do have experience of making claims against the Ministry of Defence.


I am not getting any support from the local authority. Are you able to help?

We have a dedicated team who work on this type of case and can represent you even if you do not have a personal injury claim. For some initial and free advice please contact Paula Barnes on 0800 030 20 40.


Can you help me obtain a better care package?

We have a dedicated team who work on this type of case and can represent you even if you do not have a personal injury claim. For some initial and free advice please contact a member of the team on 0800 030 20 40.


I want to return to work after my accident, but my employer will not let me. Is this legal?

We can help you negotiate your return to work with your employer once you feel that you have made a full recovery. If you feel that your employer is not willing to cooperate and allow you to return, then please call Damian Horan on 0800 030 20 40 for free initial advice.


* Clinical Negligence cases and cases conducted under the Motor Insurers Bureau and the Criminal Injuries Compensation Award schemes will be subject to alternative funding arrangements. We will explain the specific details to you on a case by case basis.