Director of Business Development & Senior Solicitor
Tel: 0800 030 20 40
Raquel Siganporia joined Aspire Law as Director of Business Development and Senior Solicitor in May 2020.
Raquel is a specialist spinal injury solicitor and has a wealth of experience representing clients who sustain spinal cord injuries due to substandard medical treatment or as a result of a traumatic accident.
I am able to offer my clients a unique understanding of living with a spinal cord injury having become paralysed at T6-T7 aged 11, in 1993 following an incident of medical negligence.
I believe in working closely with my clients, their families, and healthcare professionals to ensure my client’s complex needs are fully met to enable them to rebuild their life post-injury, with the best support possible. I have substantial experience in setting up care packages together with funding my client’s immediate needs. I relish the challenges involved in ensuring my clients are enabled to participate fully in everyday life with the correct care, accommodation, medical therapies, vehicles aids, equipment and support. Ensuring where possible that my clients resume employment as well as their interests and hobbies is key to me when obtaining a successful outcome.
As well as fighting hard to obtain excellent results for my clients, I am passionate about improving care and raising awareness of what it actually means to have a spinal cord injury on a day to day basis. I believe that with the right support it is possible to rebuild a fulfilling life following a spinal cord injury no matter how the injury was sustained. I have done this through spearheading several campaigns and events such as the Islington Wheelchair Awareness Day and through providing expert comment on spinal cord injury to the national media and conferences.
What the experts say
Raquel Siganporia is a stand out partner who demonstrates strengths in difficult situations and unending patience, empathy and thoroughness, as well as a strong legal knowledge in her field.’ - Legal 500 2020
‘Raquel Siganporia is an exceptional solicitor who tenaciously represents her clients, many of whom have suffered life-changing spinal injuries.- Legal 500 2020
“ ‘Tenacious, but utterly charming’ and has ‘incredible insights into the more difficult spinal cases’. - Legal 500 2019
“Is highly regarded for her extensive knowledge and experience in clinical negligence matters, specifically in cases involving spinal cord injuries”. - Chambers and Partners 2019
“She empathises very well with clients and has a very good manner.” - Chambers and Partners 2019
Spinal Corc Community
I was proud to be a trustee for the SIA for 9 years and their Vice Chair for 3 years.
I was a Patient Representative on a specialist panel tasked with developing and drafting NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) Guidelines on the prevention and management of pressure ulcers. This guidance was published in April 2014 and is the current leading authority within the UK’s NHS.
I am currently an Ambassador for Horatio’s Garden – a national charity creating and nurturing beautiful gardens in NHS spinal injury centres to support everyone affected by a spinal cord injury.
- £10.5 million on a capitalised basis for a client who sustained a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage after her aneurism ruptured due to a negligent procedure. The client was left with a catastrophic injury and hemiparesis which was permanent. The settlement included £400,000 per year for care for the rest of the client’s life.
- £5.3 million settlement for a client paralysed as a teenager from negligent treatment in respect of an operation to correct scoliosis, a curvature of the spine.
- £2 million for a client who sustained urological dysfunction and a conversion disorder manifesting itself as a spinal cord injury following a road traffic collision. The case was fought throughout with the Defendant placing a value of £20k on the client’s injuries.
- £1m on a capitalised basis for an 81 year old client who became paralysed during spinal surgery to remove a prolapsed, calcified disc. Liability was denied throughout the claim and the hard fought settlement allowed the client to pay for the complex, substantial care she required and provide her with a home which she could fully access.
- Spinal Injuries Association
- Accredited Senior Litigator with Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Accredited Clinical Negligence specialist with Association of Personal Injury Lawyers