If you have a child under the age of 19 who has sustained a spinal cord injury, their future education needs will have changed as a result of their accident. They may need specialist help so that they can complete their education and reach their full potential.

Any child who has a difficulty or disability which makes learning harder for them has Special Education Needs (SEN). This is a legal term and, together with a formal Statement, could help your child gain access to the right help to keep them on track at school.

This Statement or assessment can be requested by the school or parent. It is carried out by the local authority within six weeks of receiving the request. The Statement includes details of the specific help your child should get and how their needs should be met. Once your child has a Statement, you, as a parent, have the right to say which school they should attend.

Problems can arise during the Statement process. A local authority will often decline to assess a child or it may produce a Statement that does not reflect the child’s educational needs properly.
Aspire Law can help you in a number of ways:

  • We can challenge the local authority to produce a more accurate Statement that reflects the precise requirements of your child.
  • We can help with the application process to the school of your choice.
  • We can lodge a complaint on your behalf with the local authority and represent you at any future appeal tribunals.
  • We can bring in support and testimony from the many experts with whom we work, including specialist barristers and independent educational psychologists.

The tribunal process can be daunting for parents. We provide all the necessary support, every step of the way, so that you get the best possible outcome.