Your housing needs

Returning home from hospital after your accident can be difficult.

Your home will require major adaptations so that you can continue to live there freely and independently. This could involve widening and changing doors, installing access ramps and adding or changing a new bathroom and kitchen.

spinal cord injury aftercare

There are grants available through your local authority that can fund this type of work. These are known as Disabled Facilities Grants. However, the application process for these grants can be complex and lengthy, and disputes frequently arise with the local authority.


Aspire Law can help you with your potential housing problems during the course of your compensation claim in the following ways:

  • We can put you in touch with reputable organisations that carry out specialist adaptation work for a good price and to a high standard.
  • We can negotiate to get interim compensation payments so you can pay for any work on your home quickly and with minimum fuss.
  • We can put you in touch with our partners at the charity Aspire. Aspire has a dedicated housing team based at their headquarters in Stanmore. The housing manager at Aspire can be contacted on 0208 420 8950. You can also follow this link to the Aspire website which contains lots of useful information about how to secure suitable and adapted housing in the wake of Spinal Cord Injury.
  • Aspire also runs an excellent Independent Living Programme and has a nationwide portfolio of fully-adapted homes. If you are having problems getting your existing property adapted, we can talk to Aspire for you or make a referral to see if they have a suitable property while you wait for any work on your home to be completed.